Friday, October 22, 2010

Psychiatrist visit

My first psychiatrist visit was yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was about 10 minutes of paperwork and 30 minutes of her asking me all sorts of questions. I had done my research on Bipolar so pretty much knew going in what she was going to ask about. I did make a list, I do that for everything to organize my thoughts. Every time I answered a question it was as if she already knew the answer. She confirmed that I am pretty much the classic example of a Bipolar person.
Her recommendations for me were as follows:
-start lithium after the antibiotic I am on is done-I have pneumonia at the moment-apparently there is a life-threatening drug interaction between the two
-once I start the lithium I need to drink about 5 bottles of water a day
-Exercise is also recommended
-I have to have a lithium level and thyroid blood test on the 30th
-my passion is painting (well it used to be), she suggested that I move my painting things to a room more conducive to creativity than the basement
-she suggested than when my temper is too much, to go to the bedroom and slam my pillow into the bed-I am a thrower of things that make noise so I am not so sure that will satisfy my need to throw things, we'll see. Over the last few days on nothing but lamictal I have been super "throwy."
-when I get pissed, my hubby is supposed to walk away
-start wellbutrin in 2 weeks
-She also wants me to walk the dogs morning and night for some "me" time and exercise
-within the next 5 years I need to give up some stuff like my part-time college teaching gig as well as the boutique I work at part-time
-with the kids being in stuff she said I am doing too much. She was happy to hear that I quit the few committees at work, she said bipolar people have so many ideas that everyone wants to use us, but we can't possibly do it ALL
I basically left the appointment thinking on my past and how different things could have been if i had been diagnosed in high school, which is when I think it all started. I do not regret the past, after all it has made me who I am. I have however been looking at everything in my past as either a manic time or a depressed time. It is fascinating to do, now that I know that is was likely a bipolar pattern. The scientist in me is intrigued by the data. The mom and wife in me feels horrible for my family and scared for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment